Monday, July 18, 2011

Beautiful Children


I am getting so attached to these children that it will be very difficult to say goodbye at the end of this week. I know all of their names (a bigger accomplishment than one might think) and I know them both academically and socially. I've been teaching them reading (yes, reading comprehension strategies), creative writing (narrative, expository and persuasive), English grammar (which as you can imagine is quite difficult in a language that's not your native tongue), science (plants and vertebrates), math (same fourth grade math concepts I taught in Highland Park), social studies (I've been learning lots about India by teaching this subject! Love it!), and a myriad of other things that come up in the course of a schoolday.

They're happy to learn and so appreciative of every little thing. They refer to me as Miss Nancy, and upon entering the classroom they stop at the doorway and ask permission to enter the room by saying "excuse me, Miss." The title 'Miss' does not refer to marital status here, but rather is a term of respect reserved for teachers. They also thank me for teaching them. Ah!


As I've mentioned before, Shanti Bhavan is near the small village of Baliganapalli in the state of Tamil Nadu in southern India. It's amazing here for many reasons, especially the children. My students are fourth graders (Kathy's are fifth) and we're having a good time although their academic schedule is rigorous and behavior expectations are demanding. These children are from some of the poorest families in India yet are so like children that I've taught anywhere.  

Since this is a boarding school the children live and sleep and eat and play here. They have 'aunties' who tend to their needs, take care of them when they're not in class, and tuck them in at night. One of the more interesting fusions of living & going to school in the same place took place earlier this week when all the girls got their hair cut instead of coming to science class. I only found out by word of mouth about this so I had about a minute to re-plan! And then of course I'm sure you can imagine the uproar when they all eventually came back sporting short haircuts that they self-consciously covered with hoods or caps.

The staff and volunteers are also here day and night, always at the ready for a meeting or an assembly or a special project. It has been interesting to be 'on the job' 24/7.