Saturday, September 8, 2012

Canterbury Cathedral: Evensong

Friday at 17:30 I found myself back inside the amazingly historic cathedral here in Canterbury for Evensong. I had toured earlier in the day, just off the train from London, so I was ready for the grandeur of the towering pointed Gothic arches and the sumptuous 12th century stained glass windows and the intricate ornamental scrollwork. This helped me focus on the music.

And oh! The music! As services began, the choir processed in front of us to the center section of the Quire where we congregants were sitting as well, everyone facing the aisle and each other. A dozen men and eighteen boys, ages about eight to twelve I'd say, all in floor length white robes draped over black shirts and high white ruffled collars, singing in exquisite four-part harmony.

They sang though every section of the service, the delicate sureness of high soprano voices blending with strong altos, vibrant tenors and resonant basses, forming consonants and chords that soared high to heaven inside this ancient holy place.

The choir delivered an Ave Maria in at least eight-part harmony as their anthem. And as if that weren't enough, the service ended with a Bach fugue organ voluntary!

An ethereal experience, among the best of this trip!

Oh yes, free and not even on my tourist's list of what to see in Canterbury.